For Company Secretaries, In-House Legal Counsel, and Directo
Globally, new requirements for sustainability disclosures are being introduced. Voluntary reporting frameworks are rapidly transitioning into mandatory reporting in many parts of the world, including India. It is undisputed, that Sustainability is an increasing strategic and regulatory concern for private and public companies alike.
Amidst a rapidly evolving regulatory and compliance landscape in the environmental, social, and governance disclosure, the Company Secretary , Chartered Accountants and the in-house legal counsel has an important role to play. Positioned as a strategic enabler in organizational and board practices, the Company Secretary , Chartered Accountants and in-house legal counsel can support internal efforts to drive the ESG changes and collaborate with the Board and relevant departments including the Sustainability function in the company.
While “ESG” covers environmental, social and governance considerations, good governance provides the foundation. Integral to good governance is having internal controls that promote transparency, accountability and the monitoring of risks to avoid mismanagement and regulatory sanctions. The Company Secretary , Chartered Accountants and in-house legal counsel are uniquely positioned to influence the success of the company’s Sustainability governance and through that the Sustainability agenda.
This course is specifically designed for Company Secretaries , Chartered Accountants In-House Legal Counsel and KMPs to understand Sustainability from their scope of responsibilities and be updated on the relevant recent and near future developments in Sustainability. The course is also recommended for Directors and aspiring Directors.
1. Understanding Sustainability from a Business perspective.
· Understanding key ESG concepts and its implication on business practices
· Current and developing ESG legislations in India, EU, China, and SE Asian countries
and its impact on Indian businesses in these countries.
· Key frameworks, BRSR (including BRSR Core), GRI, TCFD and ISSB
2. Developing an effective ESG Strategy
· Steps in developing the ESG strategy
· Maturity assessment - what are the current ESG data and processes already in place,
with gap analysis according to regulation and best practices
· Materiality assessment and ESG risk & opportunities analysis
o Plan to close the gaps, set targets and commitments, KPIs
o Implementation of the plan - increasing ESG maturity
o Continuity - systematic approach to managing ESG
· Stakeholder integration in Sustainability Strategy
o Stakeholder mapping
o Stakeholder engagement, (planning, data gathering and analysis)
o Creating an effective Stakeholder Engagement and Communication Plan
o Monitoring for effective implementation
· ESG Governance
o The essentials of ESG Governance
o KPIs and data frameworks
o Key methods of measurement, target setting, and potential implementation of
each topic, drawing from international best practice
3. ESG and Reporting - Sustainability report
· Writing BRSR Reports (including BRSR Core)
o Simplified understanding the BRSR framework. (Addressing practical issues in
writing the report)
o Data fulfilment and reporting
4. Transitioning the company towards effective ESG Performance
· Climate change and carbon management
· Transition to a circular economy
· Energy efficiency and management
· Biodiversity and ecosystem services
5. Integrating Sustainability in the company’s work culture
Kit containing soft copy of important and useful documents and formats that you can use. These include,
· BRSR excel format with guidance.
· Inputs on GRI/Science Based Targets /Net Zero.
· Notes on Social Audit
· Guidelines on Principle Base Sustainability Assurance
· Details of various statutes from multiple countries.
· Details about Green Procurement
· Details on Green Logistics
· Simplified glossary of terms
· Guidelines on preparing for ESG Ratings.
· Due diligence while select your Sustainability service provider.
· Standard Job descriptions in Sustainability
· Sustainability organization structure
· Guidelines on conducting a Board review on ESG KPIs (including suggested formats).
· Guide to appointing the Sustainability Reporting service provider.
· ESG Project Implementation – The Board’s Check list.
· Sustainability Reporting – Frameworks & Structure.
· Guidelines on Stakeholder Engagement and Communication (including suggested formats)
· Guidelines on conducting a Material Mapping exercise (including suggested formats)
Practitioner course from The Sustainability Practitio